Monday, June 22, 2020

Talking with the Dead Again

My brother Joe was anything but slow
He was the fastest kid on the block
Down at the vacant lot he could jump his bike over 4 of his friends
With his hands behind his back

We had fun growing up
I followed him everywhere
He could make me belly laugh
When we moved out to the farm
He taught me so many things
Including how to rope a calf

After 4 years in the army my bro came home
Got a job with the county police
Married his high school sweetheart and had 3 great kids
He bought a Harley - loved the grease

‘So Joe,’ I said, ‘when can we get together
And have a barb-b-que
I’ve been missing your jokes and I know our folks would love to see you there’
Joe just laughed with his joyous rumble
And looked at me with his big grin
Then I realized when he started to cry
That I’m talking with the dead again


My dad told me ‘Son, never point a gun unless you mean to shoot.’
He had sage advice and the kindest wife
And his favorite beer was root

My pops brought me to church and raised me right
But as a teen I didn’t care
What he had to say
I went my own way
And our meeting times were rare

I struggled for years and after two failed marriages
I went over to see mom and dad
I said ‘Sorry dad, I should have listened to what you said’
He said, ‘Don’t worry about it now,
your mom and I never stopped praying.’
They gave me a huge hug and we prayed to God
And that meant the world to me

In his late seventies my dad started to get frail
Those calloused hands couldn’t lift as much
The adventurous life he loved
Those dreams grew out of touch
Dad said, ‘Son, I want to know, did I do right by God?’
I said ‘Pops, you know, you did right by me, you showed me how to love God’s way’
And I realize as we hug goodbye
That I’m talking with the dead again


You and I met on the the telephone
And agreed to go on a blind date
I drove over that night to pick you up
And wondered ‘What have I done?’
But when you stepped out beneath that old street light
My world forever changed

We spent many years in a dreamlike love
You were never far away
We were close like toast on the smoked ham roast
You always made for me
And I rub your head when we go to bed
Until you rest peacefully on my chest

I said ‘When will you be here ‘cause I’ve missed you dear
And my life just ain’t the same
I am all alone in this cavernous home
Like a hawk I drift alone’
You said ‘I love you Honey,
and love is never gone.’
And I realize as we talk on this phone
That I’m talking with the dead again

Chorus:
Talking with the dead again
Oh I am talking with the dead again
Good relationships don’t quit
Just ‘cause they are at the end
So I keep talking with the dead again.

by Royce Waxenfelter
6/18/20

No comments:

Apple Butter

Across the seas in an old clay jar A journey vast, a journey far A small seed hidden amongst the cargo From Portugal west, on past Key Largo...