Monday, April 20, 2020

Song of 2020

Something’s happening ‘round the world
Nobody can escape it, boy or girl
There’s a virus traveling ‘round the globe
Someday it’ll be told in the stories of old 


There’s a shortage of facts
There’s a lack of trust
It’s hard to relax
When I might turn to dust 
Well I am stuck inside and I cannot lie,
I’m sick and tired of this… single ply!


Social distance is a thing and you’re wearing a mask
Hard to work from home when you can’t stay on task
We flatten the curve, we grow out our hair
We risk going outside to get a breath of fresh air


No more paper
No more plastic
Where’s the TP?
Where’s the traffic?
Can’t go nowhere, gotta stay inside
And I’m sick and tired of this… single ply!


I’m second guessing my health
While I’m losing my wealth
Did allergies just make me sneeze?
Gotta pray it wasn’t that COVID19!


We don’t have to worry 
The TV explains
About nuclear bombs 
About acid rains
The number of deaths we can’t quantify
But I’m sick and tired of this… single ply!


I’m feeling all cooped up inside
Told myself I can no longer hide 
I want to travel, want to go
Went down to the station but the station was closed


You might feel angry
You might feel depressed
You might be anxious
Or scared half to death
But I’m here to tell you what’s on my mind
I’m sick and tired of this… single ply!


I miss my mom and I miss my dad
I miss the conversations we once had
Wanna give ‘em a hug but it ain’t happening
Nobody gives hugs in quarantine


Will it ever end?
Will it be over soon?
Is there a light at the end
Of this tunnel of gloom?
Can’t rub your face, can’t rub your eyes,
Well I’m sick and tired of this… single ply!


By Royce Waxenfelter
4/19/2020

No comments:

Apple Butter

Across the seas in an old clay jar A journey vast, a journey far A small seed hidden amongst the cargo From Portugal west, on past Key Largo...