Tuesday, January 5, 2021

The Grave

 I was walking outside of this bustling town

When color from a flower stole my glance from the ground

A harbinger of hope in this spring of our life

In awe, a reminder, there’s an end to the strife


I raised my eyes up beyond the flower of hope

A guard by a tomb in a stupor did grope

I asked, “Tell me sir, what are you trying to find?

What caused you to stumble, what made you go blind?”


Frightened he said, “A great warrior was he,

With an aura of light he did shine upon me.

He showed me I’m blind and it grieves me to say,

the stone of the tomb he rolled gravely away.”


So I entered the tomb where the body had laid

A shawl stained with blood, a great price had been paid

Overcomer of death, could it be the Messiah?

Did he conquer the grave? Did he walk through the fire?


Did he face down the soul snatching cauldrons of hell?

Retrieve the believers like water drawn from a well?

He said he is the way, the savior of all

But I denied his offer, I eschewed his kind call


I see now I judged Jesus, yet he’s the just judge

When he offers again, will I break, will I budge?

Will I accept his free gift of eternity with him?

Become free from this struggle and this burden of sin?


The hope of the flower it is now clear to me

A new life of hope, no more captivity

Restored to glory I gave up long ago

When I stopped seeking him I was failing to grow


His plan for me stretches past the end of my rope

He promises love, promises future and hope

Lord, why do you love when I doubted your divinity?

Why did you sacrifice your life for me?


From a view from the throne you sure took a great fall 

Suffering and shame you took once and for all

In vein it was not, deliberate and strong

What you did on the cross you had planned all along!


Now we’re free from the grave, it’s so easy you see

A good hearted-father to you and to me

Has extended a hand to loosen our binds 

He has healed broken-hearted, liberated our minds


Let the grave call you not to a suffering hell

Let Christ the Messiah draw you up from the well

To Heav’n everlasting in peace and his smile

His plan for all, he meant all of the while.


From a view from the throne Jesus took a great fall 

Suffering and shame He took once and for all

In vein it was not, deliberate and strong

What He did on the cross He had planned all along! 


By Royce Waxenfelter 

1/5/21

Note: to the tune of ‘The Green Fields of France’

No comments:

Apple Butter

Across the seas in an old clay jar A journey vast, a journey far A small seed hidden amongst the cargo From Portugal west, on past Key Largo...