Monday, January 11, 2021

Entrenched

I have but a moment to write today midst the chaos of war and suffrin’

I beg take the time to read my say where I include my heart and lovin’


Will our banners hold up another day

Will our guns refrain from jammin’

Should we rest through the night on this bed of hay

Or will the bombs in our ears keep slammin’


Listen my dear how I miss you so, n’er again will I slander your cookin’

Your soft lovely skin and your flowing hair, oh darling you are so good lookin’


But much more than those I will n’er forget

For it does bring me the greatest pleasure

And I mention it here so you don’t regret

Your love for God is your greatest treasure


Ba, da dee, la da, da da-da de-da, la ba de di diddle dee-di dum (x2)


Say - a prayer - for me my dear  - and the men among my comp’ny

Place God’s hedge of protection ‘round us all and implore Him to give us mercy


I long for your smile and your kind, kind heart

Like a fire I cannot seem to quench it

And I dream of the day when we’re not apart

Far from death and the smell of these trenches


Please  - ask God - to forgive me now, I have caused much inj’ry and murder

I’m afraid of what might be the destiny of the soul of a humble soldier


If I survive will you marry me

For it would be my greatest honor

To raise with you a family

Gracious mother and proud father


Ba, da dee, la da, da da-da de-da, la ba de di diddle dee-di dum (x2)


I must say farewell to you now my love, I have a good reason to hurry 

An alarm tells of in-bound artill’ry shells so I close in a moment of worry


No matter what happens on this foreign shore

If I’m caught in the grip of the wrenches

My heart is yours forevermore

It cries out from these tombs and trenches


Ba, da dee, la da, da da-da de-da, la ba de di diddle dee-di dum (x2)


By Royce Waxenfelter

1/11/21


Note: to the tune of Mary and the Soldier by Paul Brady

No comments:

Apple Butter

Across the seas in an old clay jar A journey vast, a journey far A small seed hidden amongst the cargo From Portugal west, on past Key Largo...