Monday, September 14, 2015

Outlaw Freedom

a Willie and Waylon style duet
singer 1 
singer 2 
both together

verse 1
I spent a lot of time down in the canyons
I spent a lot of time up in the snow

I wasted all my time smokin' and drinkin'
I tasted all my wine searchin' for blow

It was 4 in the morning when I got caught for swervin'
It was late night for me, 'round eleven or so

--chorus--
Twelve months in a jail cell gets dismal and lonely
You don't know your friends and your family don't show
So when I got out I headed South of the border
And when I got out I headed up to Buffalo
We got our hands on some kind of mind bending pleasure
And I tasted outlaw freedom
And I tasted outlaw freedom
And we tasted outlaw freedom... again

verse 2
When I was young I wondered a lot about oceans
When I was young I thought a lot about sky

Thinkin' how wondrous it would feel to be diving
Thinkin' how freeing it would be to fly

I went to school to understand how to sink lower
And I went to school to learn how to get high

--insert chorus--

verse 3
Life isn't fun when you're wandering the desert
Life isn't fun when it's forty below

It took all I had just to get help and get sober
It took all I had, then some, most don't even know

Ten years of struggle just to stay off the bottle
Ten years of forcing myself to say no

--insert chorus--

verse 4
Sober days for me were like not knowing the language
Strange days in a world I just didn't belong

My mind yearned to be numb, to stop racing
Mine felt foggy and hindered, sluggish and wrong

I did my backsliding South of Los Angelino
Caught my buzz North of Reno, just couldn't hold on

--final chorus--
Pain finally left as my boat sank down in the ocean
I screamed as the pressure dropped and exploded in sky
But I called out for Jesus as I held my last breath
I prayed for forgiveness just before the last mile
And we were gifted the ultimate mind bending pleasure
And I tasted outlaw freedom
And I tasted outlaw freedom
And we tasted outlaw freedom... begin

by Royce Waxenfelter
9/2/15


No comments:

Apple Butter

Across the seas in an old clay jar A journey vast, a journey far A small seed hidden amongst the cargo From Portugal west, on past Key Largo...