Thursday, December 4, 2008

Valentine’s Day – A New Connotation

As I contemplate Valentine’s Day from one year to the next
I’m so awed by the changes you could say I’m perplexed

It feels like my life took the stage – what a play!
With contrasting scene changes – night into day

From a bachelor foraging cupboards so lean
To a wife who loves cooking me tasty cuisine

From a big empty bed where I felt so forlorn
To your exquisite visage and body so warm

From a critical pessimist, broken and burned
To a joyous testament that that love’s not just a word

From a lonely man wondering why others would leave me
To a satisfied husband who knows you believe me

When I hold you and express my love, face to face
I’m so relieved… that was not always the case

My confidence was so shaky it made Cupid miss
But now I don’t go one night without a hug and a kiss

When before I was stunted and misunderstood
Now my love communicates ever so good

I was stagnant, not growing, in doubt-ridden mire
But you’ve given me reason to strive higher and higher

From years wasted wishing for someone to care for
To a love-life we both have – finally! – and therefore

For once I’ll enjoy Valentine’s with a smile on my face
You’ve given me meaning, hope, laughter, and grace

While last year I did not even know you were there
This year you are this Valentine’s answer to prayer!

To my loving wife on our first Valentine’s Day together,
With true love, always and forever,
Your devoted husband, Royce
2/14/07

No comments:

Apple Butter

Across the seas in an old clay jar A journey vast, a journey far A small seed hidden amongst the cargo From Portugal west, on past Key Largo...