Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Anti-Directional

I took her out to dinner before
before Dick Van Dyke and Dinah Shore
before Johnny Q couldn't talk anymore
before marriage was a dinosaur

I took her car down to the store
the store where you don't know anymore
the place where anything is in store
to store rivers rushing down to the shore

I took her to this place that I know
said "I've got two friends in Idaho"
said it real sharp then I said it real slow
everyone knows the the things that they grow

I took her way up on a plateau
she trembled her finger and quivered her toe
from the quiver came the arrow straight into her bow
thrown for a loop on the desert below

I took her gift of one white rose
rose the emotion under my clothes
to mind the mind that nobody knows
close open eyes to all of the woes

I took her up from where I was at
stood on my head to tell myself that
directions change with the drop of a hat
no man alive can tell where heaven is at

I took her out of society
away from policing the policy
out to nature university
we will swim our deepest poetry

by Royce Waxenfelter
5/15/91

No comments:

Apple Butter

Across the seas in an old clay jar A journey vast, a journey far A small seed hidden amongst the cargo From Portugal west, on past Key Largo...